Tomorrow: Quantum Cleanse Begins
The BIG FIVE’s the average person consumes on a daily basis and often at every meal include the following: animal protein, caffeine, sugar, gluten, and alcohol. For the next 21 days of my life, I am going to avoid these items in their entirety. I am going to look at this as my own internal “study” to find out how my body reacts to the removal of these common everyday consumed foods/beverages. There is no doubt I will have my challenges. I think my biggest concern is gluten and sugar, however anything is possible if you believe in yourself, so considering the journey I have had already, this should be nothing. Alcohol is easy for me, as I rarely drink. Caffeine and animal protein should also be less of a desirable as I have done without these items before.
“Why in the hell would you do that?” Well, if you had to live in my body and deal with the amount of pain I have over the past 6 months, you would understand that I am willing to try anything to reduce the inflammation and pain that my life has suddenly been dealing with on a more frequent basis. The Quantum Wellness Cleanse by Kathy Freston is the book I have read to help me understand this journey I am about to embark on. There is no doubt it will be tricky, but with preparation and determination, I believe I can get through it. Clorinda is also doing this cleanse as she is the one that I got me invested to begin with. She will be my rock, as always, to help me insure success and commitment prevails. What a partner!
To start I will document my weight on Day 1, take “before” pictures (that I will keep all to myself), and will answer a list of questions below. This way I have a baseline to start and then can record each and every symptom and feeling moving forward.
Each day I will answer the following questions so I can track my progress:
1. How do you feel today (overall) compared to yesterday? I am feeling better than I have been as we have just arrived back from a family vacation we took in Vancouver. Today I had my 4th round of Orencia and the Dr. believes things are progressing nicely. I am back on 4 (four) – 2.5mg of Methotrexate with 1 (one) folic acid on a weekly basis. While we were in Vancouver, I experienced a major reaction to something I either ate or perhaps a towel I rubbed on my face. This rash is heavy on my face (left side) and in the neck area. It’s slightly painful, red, and looks pretty awful.
2. Has anything changed with your symptoms that you may have not wrote about the day before? As noted above. Vacation means zero restriction from food.
3. Are you feeling hungry at anytime during the day? I am feeling hungry now. We had rice pasta with soy crumble tomato sauce (we just realized it has wheat in it, so it won’t be part of the plan like we first thought) I started my day with a Manjari Mocha from P&S’s and added a blueberry vanilla scope (yes, it was if I was still on vacation), then had my infusion, then went to Hot Yoga where I bonked, not to mention I had horrible cramps which was a doubly whammy of NO FUN. We came home and I had a berry smoothie with a quinoa salad. I drank water during the day and felt better before dinner. We went shopping at Community Health Foods.
4. What was your workout today? 65 Minutes of Hot Yoga
5. When did you workout and how was your energy during the workout? We did hot yoga at 12 noon today. I felt terrible; I ate a very poor breakfast and had horrible cramps. Afterwards I was shaky and felt bit of nausea.
6. How did your energy do throughout the day? I have been pretty tired all day, but managed to make it though my last day of vacation before going back to work tomorrow.
7. How many hours of sleep did you get last night? I took Benadryl due to my rash and crashed for about 7.5 hours.
8. As it relates to your health, here is a list of areas that have caused some issues over the past 6 months. Please provide a brief update of each:
Left wrist pain: Sore, but not has badly as before vacation, About a 6.
Right pointer finger joint: Much better, About a 3
Thumbs: My thumbs feel much better. I believe my thumbs are reacting to the amount of time I spend on the blackberry. It has been significantly reduced while being on vacation. About a 2.
Right Hip: Its still there, but I have not been running. About a 2.
Face/Skin: Awful due to the rash.
GI Issues: My GI issues where not that great on the trip. I did consume a massive amount of dairy which does not seem to work well with my system. Feeling better today except for the cramps: About a 7 due to the cramps.
Other: Nothing else to report at this time.
I think that will conclude my first post of this journey. Now I am off to take some photos and to talk to Clorinda about the rest of our week. Oh, one major incentive I failed to mention – At the end of this thing we are rewarding ourselves with a day at the spa… More importantly – GOOD HEALTH.
Make it Count by trying something that may feel impossible at the moment, but certainly IS possible.